Frank King <f...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> The U.K. telephone-service speaking clock gets it right too but only by
> a fudge.  You hear:
>
>   At the thiiiiiiiiiiird stroke...
>
> with a bit of noise in "third"!

The recording I have heard has the usual three pips, but with two seconds
between the second and third pips:

https://twitter.com/womump/status/815976395906174976

(i.e. the pips at the end of the minute were :58, :59, :00 as usual!)

> Ordinary domestic radio-controlled clocks adjust themselves at some
> convenient time later.  None of mine had changed at 00:30 but all had by
> changed by 07:00.

My radio clock resets at 01:00 which seems inconveniently early to me -
I haven't checked exactly how it handles the summer time changes.

I also have a cheap little bare MSF receiver, but it's essentially useless
during the day. It works OK in the night (better atmospheric conditions)
which is good for watching June leap seconds.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Humber, Thames: West 5 to 7, veering northwest 6 to gale 8, perhaps severe