Oh, no! I think I may have my initial term for tan gamma inverted, so my result would be an angle relative to EW.

I have to go out for the day now, but will check my calculation when I get home.

Steve

On 2024-07-20 8:50 a.m., Steve Lelievre wrote:

On 2024-07-20 7:01 a.m., John Goodman via sundial wrote:
My ultimate objective is to find the sun's hour angle on a given day, in a
given location, when it reaches a selected azimuth.

John, here's my attempt. I've never used this result so my calculation needs checking.

Cheers,

Steve

/δ/is solar declination

/φ /is latitude

/ω/is hour angle

/γ/is azimuth

Solar position vector S is

so

Rearrange:

Above equation is of form:

Using trig identities:

where and

in which case

or

or

We have to watch out for quadrant in inverse functions.

--
https://www.gnomoni.ca
https://www.youtube.com/@gnomonica