Hi folks,

I was (rightfully) questioned about using the term lower rate, I'll attempt to clarify as that's incorrect.

What the hires_tick setting does is reduce the interval of when data is sent. Same amount of data, just sent in smaller chunks, over a smaller amount of time. While the following numbers are for illustration only, a scenario where the server was trying to send 200 Mb each second, would now send at 20 Mb every tenth of a second with hires_tick set.

The end-result is actually a *higher* effective rate since it's sustainable and not filling up the switches buffer. Switches only have a fixed amount of cache to buffer. So in the above scenario, if your switch can only buffer 100 Mb, you're in trouble from the start because you've sent more than it can handle at once. With hires_tick set, it won't have to buffer since it's well within the switches capability to buffer. When the buffer is overran, packet loss can occur, which makes everything worse as things try to back-off and negotiate a rate where it doesn't happen.

Flow control can theoretically help by telling the sender to wait, but it's not always implemented/honored correctly from vendor to vendor, nor is always enabled by default usually due to it not always implemented/honored correctly ;)

A switch with a 1 Gb ingress and 100 Mb egress will always buffer, hires_tick reduces the size of what it has to buffer. 100 Mb ingress to 100 Mb egress, no buffering. Thus my statement about enterprise switches was misleading at best.

Regardless, hires_tick is an easy tunable doesn't require you to mess with switches, clients, etc. Give it a try.