On 2013-04-25 22:34, Martindell, Steve wrote:
longer to pan across the die, compared to my Macbook ssh --> Linux
server running Cadence.

Can the SRSS server in the middle cause this much slow down ??

My suggestions might not be in favor of SRSS in this case, but might
improve your experience with your alternate solutions, if ssh is
only used to tunnel connections and not as a security tool:

1) You can try to enable and use reduced complexity of encryption,
maybe down to "none" if supported by your sshd/ssh client builds.

2) On your laptop you can "xhost + linuxserver", and in your
session on that server just "export DISPLAY=laptop:0" or what
is appropriate, and avoid tunneling altogether - the linux X11
program should render directly on your Mac's X11 server.

3) Alternately, if CPU is abundant and network is the bottleneck,
your ssh connections can apply compression - see if it helps or
makes your usability worse.

As for tests with a linux VM which would be SRSS and would run
your graphics-intensive program, when you build this test, make
sure to also test and compare it with a laptop+ssh connection,
so that it would be truly an apples-to-apples comparison ;)

HTH,
//Jim