On 05/03/2013 12:21 PM, Garry Taylor wrote:
> The alternative I can think of would be a simple X Terminal, I like X
> Terminals as they work on pretty much every UNIX ever, and some other OS
> like OpenVMS. I have had trouble with them though, compared to Sun Rays
> with fonts, as the X Terminal itself draws text, not just draw an image
> like the Sun Ray does.
>
> X Terminals are cool, but Sun Rays seem better to me.

  Oh man you seriously brought back some memories with this post.

  In the early- to mid-1990s, I set up dozens of X-terminals built
around Sun-3/50. 3/60, and 3/80 machines running the "Xkernel" package.
 Does anyone remember that?  XKernel was basically a stripped-down SunOS
kernel, with /sbin/init replaced by a shell script that just started an
X server that came up and listened for XDMCP messages.  My whole company
ran on those for many years.  They were back-ended by a few Sun-3/200s,
3/400s, and (for the lucky ones) 4/300s.

  I miss those days, and those machines.  I really should've kept more
of them for myself.

  On that note...if anyone in the general vicinity of western
Pennsylvania has any early Sun gear that needs a new home, or any
vintage gear at all (does "PDP" or "VAX" mean anything to you?), drop me
a note.  I have a biggish building, housing a large collection, and am
building what will eventually be a public museum.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA