From: Eric Vyncke (evyncke) [mailto:evyn...@cisco.com]
Sent: 17 November 2016 01:17
To: Heatley, Nick; Bill Fenner; Lee Howard
Cc: Carlos M. Martinez; Marc Blanchet; sunset4@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sunset4] ietf-nat64 - Internet VPN clients

Indeed, SSL VPN are usually OK (such as the one I am currently using)

-éric

From: sunset4 <sunset4-boun...@ietf.org<mailto:sunset4-boun...@ietf.org>> on
behalf of "Heatley, Nick" <nick.heat...@ee.co.uk<mailto:nick.heat...@ee.co.uk>>
Date: Wednesday 16 November 2016 at 18:24
To: Bill Fenner <fen...@fenron.com<mailto:fen...@fenron.com>>, Lee Howard
<l...@asgard.org<mailto:l...@asgard.org>>
Cc: "Carlos M. Martinez" <carlosm3...@gmail.com<mailto:carlosm3...@gmail.com>>,
Marc Blanchet <marc.blanc...@viagenie.ca<mailto:marc.blanc...@viagenie.ca>>,
"sunset4@ietf.org<mailto:sunset4@ietf.org>"
<sunset4@ietf.org<mailto:sunset4@ietf.org>>

To learn on VPNs it would be good to record:

·         VPN client, sw version

·         Whether it is clear on whether IPsec is the protocol (some resort to
SSL, some continue with IPsec)

·         Is the destination VPN gateway IPv4-only or dualstack

·         Is the VPN invoked by URL or by IP address
Only the person performing the test will discern the last 2 aspects, it is
particular to their intranet.

The VPN I am most familiar with is IPsec, is stuck to an IP address destination.
If the VPN gateway is IPv4-only and you are on an IPv6-only network (without a
transition tech that fixes this, for example, allowing a 192.0.0.X source) then
it breaks.
This is not a NAT64 issue, this is a reachability issue.
SSL VPNs connecting via URLs have been ok AFAIK.
My expectation is that a significant # of users fall into the IPsec to
IPv4-only destination category, enough to callout IPv6-only + NAT64/DNS64 as
deficient. Better consensus would be good.
Nick