Thanks for this, very useful.
Is the vpn client also discovering the well known prefix for v6 address
synthesis itself, or relying on the OS to provide that?

-------- Original message --------
From: Tommy Pauly <tpa...@apple.com>
Date: 09/12/2016 17:32 (GMT+00:00)
To: "Heatley, Nick" <nick.heat...@ee.co.uk>
Cc: "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-li...@lists.zabbadoz.net>, Bill Fenner
<fen...@fenron.com>, ip...@ietf.org, sunset4@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPsec] [sunset4] ietf-nat64 - Internet VPN clients

With our push to support NAT64 networks (without 464xlat) for Apple's devices,
we added support for NAT64 networks to both our IKEv1 and IKEv2 clients a few
releases ago. It was a fairly straightforward change. The main parts are making
sure any IPv4 literals meant to be use outside the tunnel that come across in
the IKE exchange are synthesized into IPv6 addresses; and making sure that the
ESP layer is happy encapsulating IPv4 in IPv6 for tunnels. Historically, many
implementations only supported IPv4-in-IPv4, IPv6-in-IPv6, and IPv6-in-IPv4.

>From an interop perspective, this is just a change that needs to be made on
>the client behind the NAT64, and requires no protocol changes in IKE or
>knowledge on the server side.

Thanks,
Tommy Pauly