From: Jeff Walther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:28:41 -0600
At 00:08 -0800 11/17/2005, Will S wrote:

Heh. Thank you, Will. That clears it up. Yes, you'd think it wouldn't require hours of research every time. :-) And I also had a hazy memory of folks flashing the SIIG Mac 133 card with the Acard updates, so my conclusion didn't feel totally consistent to me.

So my hazy memory was of Sonnet selling their own (or maybe Firmtek's/Promise's) card as a 100/133 and Acard's card for the RAID. SIIG used to sell the Acard 100/133 and the Acard RAID, but now has something different for the 100/133.

Well I'm pretty sure my list as updated is correct. It is possible there was a Sonnet ATA 100 /Acard for a short while. No Sonnet ATA 133/ Acard was ever sold as far as I can tell. I've done extensive viewing of card .jpg's trying to track down the new SIIG Mac card . Your right the new SIIG ATA 133 Mac card is the same card as the SIIG PC 133 ATA card . Also I've found no other Mac card of this design . So it appears to be the first Mac ATA card not made by Acard or Promise/Firmtek. Viewing of many .jpg's shows that the Sonnet 133 ATA Mac card is the same card & chip design as the Promise PC 133 ATA card. It is also sold as the Maxtor PC 133 ATA card and perhaps others. I know that the Sonnet 133 ATA Mac card uses Promise chips and that Firmtek provides the Mac firmware. Firmtek's first retail product was the Firmtek Mac Sata PCI card. Their sells info on the SATA card mentions they are a major manufacture of Mac ATA PCI cards for another company. So what company could that be besides the Sonnet cards ;-) I think I've gotten this right ;-)
The image of the new SIIG 100/133 for Mac looks like pictures (from memory, so block of salt) I've seen of their PC 100/133 card. So my guess would be that they developed or bought firmware for their own 100/133 design to make it work on a Mac. But that's a guess. It's a card with a big square chip. For all I know, that's what the FirmTek card looks like too. :-)

See above the Sonnet 133 ATA card looks like the Promise PC 133 ATA card and the SIIG 133 ATA PC & Mac card are now matches . I think we're done for now until the next revisions.

Will S