On 02/08/09 11:59, John Doue wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:

>>> Just a fact: this site, as others which do not display properly with
>>> 1.1.14 displays properly with 1.1.13 on XP.
>>
>> Just a fact: I viewed the site referenced by the OP on SeaMonkey 1.1.13
>> on Windows/XP, increased the font size by one step and it went bonkers.
>>
>>>                                               As an individual user, I
>>> care mostly about seeing sites, even poorly written, properly.
>>
>> Well, good luck with that. The problem is that many site developers don't
>> understand what is needed to design their application to work on multiple
>> browsers. They test that it runs on their browser of choice (usually, IE)
>> and others are left to chance.
>>
> You are right of course, and it is a shame. But it is a fact of life,
> and using a browser which won't display properly a poorly written page
> does not do any good any body ...

So if the poorly written site (in your example) was to output the site
content completely in Martian pig latin, should a "good" browser be able
to figure that out as well?

The fact is that good browsers understand good content. If a site designer
designs a site which produces garbage, he gets was he designs.

>>> It is a difficult issue for developers, but until there is an Internet
>>> police, the user is king ...
>>
>> So, as a user, what can you do? You can certainly contact the site
>> developer and let them know about their site's shortcoming. You can
>> view their site with *their* preferred browser. You can boycott their
>> site.
>
> You forgot the obvious option: using a SM version which is more tolerant
> to code errors or oversights. 1.1.13 seems ok to me in this respect and
> I went back from 14 to 13 for that very reason. Selfishly, I use the
> tool that best fits my needs.

How is that selfish? Use the tools that fit your needs.

>                                Ideally, I want to be the one who decides
> which sites I won't look at because they are poorly written. Using the
> latest version is of no interest to me, per se.

You *are* the one that decides which sites you'll look at. No one is
twisting your arm to use any particular client. Use whatever you want.

> Contacting the developer? That certainly is the most useful thing to do,
> provided one has the required qualifications and expertise. I certainly
> don't. But meanwhile, being able to more or less properly see a
> imperfect site seems to be a good compromise.

Most sties include a link to contact the web developer with problems
regarding the site. You can send them a message and explain that in
your browser of choice, their site exhibits problems (which you should
enumerate to them).

Whether they do anything about it is another issue. I've seen some
sites designed with IE in mind and no interest at all in getting them
to work with any other clients.