Hartmut Figge wrote:
Phillip Jones:
Hartmut Figge wrote:

I don't have a desktop *g*.

Yes you do the screen you see when you open your computer after it boots
up is called the desktop on Macintosh computers. Other computer users,
using Windows Machines may also call it the Desktop as well. Unix and
Linux don't have this unless they have some type of GUI installed.

Even then, without a desktop system like KDE, Gnome or XFCE there is no
desktop. Sure, there is a background, but it is impossible to e.g. put
icons on it. But i'm happy with my icewm.

if they go bare - naked (no GUI) they use the same old command line
system That Widows machines used back in DOS 3.1 days.

The console is the default what i see after booting. Normally i would
then start X with, surprisingly, startx. *g*

I know about this because I worked as Electronics Tech for school system
back during them days. And when you boot a Mac into single user mode.
You are using Raw Unix which looks and , you have to type commands
almost identically the same way.

I don't know anything about a Mac. I had set my old Win98SE to boot into
pure DOS from which i could call Windows with the command win.

Hartmut
Technically  Mac has a three layer OS.

You have the Mach Kernel that at the very Core.
Then you have UNIX on top as of OSX.4.11 it was FreeBSD.
The the Mac GUI sitting on top as per references Its like KDE is for UNIX.

When we boot a Mac the screen you see is called the desktop it allows for icons on it. Just like windows for PC. I had on OSX.3.9 X11 installed and then used an article in Mac World to install KDE I didn't repeat on my current installs as the only thing I could get working was Konqueror. Which Safari is based on.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com