David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/10/2009 8:27 AM, ClintonHammond wrote:
I tried to open my Seamonky2 bookmarks file in an editor (As I often
did with previous versions of Seamonkey) only to be met with a warning
in the header about how it's a generated file and will be read and
over-written and DO NOT EDIT... What kind of nonsense is this?!?!?!

How can one edit one's own bookmarks file??

It can be edited while SeaMonkey is toally terminated.  I strongly
suggest using Wordpad and not Notepad.  The file contains some control
characters that might cause Notepad to corrupt the file.  I would also
strongly recommend copying the file to create a backup.

However, I have almost always edited the file using the Bookmark
Manager.  If you kept SeaMonkey 1.1.x and installed SeaMonkey 2 AND ITS
PROFILE in directories separate from SeaMonkey 1.1.x, you should be able
to open the Bookmark Manager for both and copy from one to the other.

The only times I have used Wordpad to edit the file was when I wanted to
change the domain names in a large number of bookmarks.  Those bookmarks
all pointed to pages in the mirror of a very large archive.  When that
mirror began to have problems, I switched to using a different mirror.
That required making the same change to about 250 bookmarks, which was
quite easy with Wordpad.

The major deficiency in Bookmark Manager for editing is that a search
for a particular bookmark results in a new window.  A number of editing
operations are disabled in that window.  The search is useless for
editing in the main Bookmark Manager window since it does not indicate
where in 1,200 bookmarks the found entry is located.  These are very old
bug reports.

I always make a copy, then edit that using Composer.

--
     - Rufus