Interviewed by CNN on 17/11/2009 17:12, John Doue told the world:

> Richard wrote:
>> Ya you're correct, it was version six, I have used Netscape since the
>> beginning, I could not remember, only that there was a very disastrous
>> version, believe it or not I was so anti ms then (for killing my
>> browser) I stuck with it until last ver 7 upgrade, ver 8 was not used by
>> me, then went to Mozilla, I need/want the multiple profiles. If I recall
>> Netscape skipped version 5? I have returned to SM 1.1 until someone
>> wakes up and includes migration of all profiles. I have always kept my
>> profiles separately as soon as I knew how to.
>
> I believe you are right about version 5. I went the exact same way you
> did, and left 7.2 behind not so long ago to move to Mozilla suite, then
> to SM.

I have seen two explanations regarding the skipping of version 5: one
coming from marketing and the other from the development process.

The marketing explanation was that they just jumped one version in order
to seem more advanced.

The development process is a bit more involved. Apparently, the idea at
first was to develop two new versions of Netscape in parallel: V5 would
be based on the old Netscape code, while V6 would be based on the new
Mozilla Project code. V5 was eventually dropped entirely.

Which is true? Probably a bit of both; people would talk about "Netscape
5" and "Netscape 6" internally, and when NS5 was cancelled, Marketing
saw no reason to lower the version number of the new Netscape.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... An ounce of emotion is equal to a ton of facts.
* TagZilla 0.0661 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org on Seamonkey 2.0