obones wrote:
Hello all,

I'm currently reviewing SM2 and when I installed it I told it to import the settings from my existing SM1 installation.
All email accounts got imported, along with the SMTP server definition.
While I can send emails just fine in SM1, I always get an error when sending emails with SM2.
The error says this:

Unable to authenticate to SMTP server SERVER_NAME. The serer does not support any compatible insecure authentication mechanism but you have chosen insecure authentication. Try switching on secure authentication or contact your service provider.

I tried turning on TLS or even SSL, but none of these are provided by the given server.
What I find weird is that it worked and continues to work fine in SM1.
Obviously, some option has been removed/disabled in SM2, but which one?
Is there a way to reactivate it?

Thanks

It's a known bug, you have to disable secure authentication.
It even says so on the SM2 page that loads after the initial installation. It's Under "known issues" or whatever. I don't know why this preference was changed. It never used to be enabled in previous versions.

But you got to love these guys, they work their guts out for us all, for very little thanks or recognition. Even with my "Importing multiple SM 1.x identities into SM2" migration blues, I still think they have done an amazing job.

Anyway, this should do the trick for you.

Edit>Preferences>Server Settings>un-check "use secure authentication"

HTH
Happy webing. (:
~n