jim wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:09:40 +0100, obones <obones_g...@fds_free.fr> in
mozilla.support.seamonkey wrote:

Hello all,

I'm currently reviewing SM2 and when I installed it I told it to import the settings from my existing SM1 installation.
All email accounts got imported, along with the SMTP server definition.
While I can send emails just fine in SM1, I always get an error when sending emails with SM2.
The error says this:

Unable to authenticate to SMTP server SERVER_NAME. The serer does not support any compatible insecure authentication mechanism but you have chosen insecure authentication. Try switching on secure authentication or contact your service provider.

I tried turning on TLS or even SSL, but none of these are provided by the given server.
What I find weird is that it worked and continues to work fine in SM1.
Obviously, some option has been removed/disabled in SM2, but which one?
Is there a way to reactivate it?

Thanks

My situation is that I can receive just gangbusters with SM2.  But it
refuses to send, giving the SMTP-AUTH message.  However, the server
settings show no security, no Auth.

Let me know if you get it working and most of all, how you did it.

I think that may be your problem, you have to match your settings to the server, if it wants auth you have to provide it. Since I don't know what your server wants I can't be sure, but there's a reasonable possibility that you need to configure auth. Not only that, but secure auth, like TLS+SSL (I forget the exact choice in the list), but it's not the checkbox, it's the menu about 1/3 down the screen.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>