Bush wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Bush wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/29/2009 5:40 PM, Bush wrote:
Bush wrote:
/snip/

On the SeaMonkey 1.1.18 menu bar, select [Help > About SeaMonkey].
Under the large-type link for "SeaMonkey 1.1.18" at
the top of the page, do you see the following:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23)
Gecko/20090825 SeaMonkey/1.1.18

If you see anything different, please copy the entire string and paste
it into a reply to this message.

SeaMonkey 1.1.18

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23)
Gecko/20090825 Firefox/2.0.0.7

Okay, you spoofed your 1.1.18 profile to Firefox. That is the sole
reason it works for you in 1.1.18 and not 2.0. Spoof 2.0 as Firefox,
and it works too, as I have found. Your "fix" is ludicrous.

You are letting your anger get the better of you. Lets take a deep
breathe here.

Lee
I spoofed Nothing ... What is Spoof ?

I had seamonket 1.1.18 and uninstalled it then I installed 2.0 Found it
was a piece of Crap. So I uninstalled it And now I installed 1.1.18
again . Copied over the files I saved to DVD's prior to installing 2.0.

I am Not Angry ... I love trying to Get a piece of Crap up and
Running... But 2.0 is out of my Class .

So how does one Get rid of this So called SPOOF ?

Deep breath myself.

Look at the User Agent string you posted in response to David's request. Its above, but here it is again:

SeaMonkey 1.1.18

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23)
Gecko/20090825 *Firefox/2.0.0.7*

*Emphasis mine.*

You have your 1.1.18 profile reporting that it is Firefox 2.0.07 on Windows XP, instead of SeaMonkey 1.1.18 on Windows XP. The site's browser sniffer lets you in because it thinks you are using ff 2.0.0.7.

That's called UA spoofing. The User Agent string is what is reported to the web site's server as the browser and OS you are using. At some time, you changed the User Agent string in SeaMonkey 1.1.18 to spoof FF 2.0.0.7, probably to "fix" a similar problem with another web site. You may not remember doing it, but clearly you did it at some time.

This can be done manually in about:config, or by an extension, such as teh UA switcher. I don't know how you did it.

Installing 2.0 caused SeaMonkey to report as what it actually is, SeaMonkey 2.0. If I spoof the 2.0 UA to report as FF 3.5, it works fine too.

To tell users that going back to Sm 1.1.18 to *fix* this problem is totally incorrect. SM 1.1.18 with its proper user agent has exactly the same problem as SM 2.0.

I understand your frustration over the Sm 2.0 upgrade. Still, it is unwise to simply post blanket *fixes* as you have done tonight. Its not always correct, indeed often wrong, and its not helpsing users to solve 2.0 problems.

Lee