In <news:796dna1o5zc2clpwnz2dnuvz_hcdn...@mozilla.org>,
Rufus <n...@home.com> wrote:

> That a REALLY short treatise on how I've done it...and a fair start
> for anyone else.

Some of what you wrote is applicable to SeaMonkey and some isn't.
There were some underlying assumptions, such as the project team having
complete control over the codebase, which isn't the case here.  The
SeaMonkey team has to leverage Mozilla's codebase, over which they
don't have control.  (The folks who do have control generally try not to
hurt SeaMonkey efforts, but that's not the same thing.)

For example,

> 2) poll users as to which interface changes are acceptable to the
> widest number of users before making interface changes - particularly
> big ones, like deleting the Forms Manager; or very notable ones like
> reducing the sizes of user input areas/presentations.

The form manager feature of SeaMonkey 1.x isn't in SM 2.0.x because the
codebase which supports it has been abandoned by the people working on
Mozilla core code.  Polling users wouldn't make those people
re-implement it for the newer codebase, and the SeaMonkey team hasn't
(yet) been able to do that themselves.

The alternative to releasing a modern SeaMonkey without the forms
manager would be either make no more releases or to keep making releases
based on ancient, bitrotting code that the SeaMonkey team doesn't have
the manpower to maintain.  Users who really would prefer the "make no
more releases" option can keep using the last 1.1.x SM release.

--
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /