Daniel wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Martin Freitag wrote:
Rufus schrieb:
/snip/

<snip>

If Firefox/Thunderbird are harbingers of what's to become of SM due to
the SM team not being able to maintain their own code content for
functionality, then I'll just stick with SM 1.1.18 and call it good -
like some enterprise users I know that still depend on Netscape. I've
tried to get those users to upgrade from NS to SM in the past, I'm not
really sure I have a reason to do that any longer.

No I don't think so. Isn't the point of the SeaMonkey project to
reintegrate the split projects into a workable suite? I would suggest
giving it some time. It works very well for my personal use. For
business use it may take a while longer.

Lee

No, Lee, the point of the SeaMonkey Project is (or should that be "was") to continue the development of the Mozilla Suite, which was abandoned by Mozilla (org or com or whatever) once Firefox and Thunderbird had become established.

Now, as SM is a volunteer enterprise, I've got no problems with the team taking the "Open Source" FF and TB code and incorporating them as part of the suite (no need to re-invent the wheel, here!!), but, IMHO, SM Suite should never have to become FF&TB plus a few bits and pieces.

And, Lee, for what it's worth, rather than just siting back bitching, I now intend to assist the SM development as much as I can. Previously, the web account I was on and, even more so, being on dial-up, restricted me from helping but now that I've gone wireless, I have a greater ability to help out with smoke-testing (whatever that is) new releases and dual-booting Win7 and Mandriva Linux, I hope I will be able to do some cross platform comparision work, just as you do!

Daniel

Bravo, Daniel.  First encouraging words I've heard since 2.x was released!

--
     - Rufus