Phillip Jones wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 12/22/2009 06:39 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
NoOp wrote:
-------------------snip-------------------

But apparently do not understand the risks associated with html and
javascript in emails. You can of course choose to ignore the default
settings&   SeaMonkey/about:config allows you to do that.
-------------------snip-------------------

JavaScript was in html mail as far as back perhaps Netscape Navigator
3.0.1.a Gold.  and the h=whole time not once did I experience a Problem
And I have viewed many a html or newsgroup post with JavaScript in it
and not once a problem. Yet recently there is all the fear of JavaScript.

Talk about something dangerous, talk about Active-X. Active-X is a lot
more Dangerous than JavaScript.

SeaMonkey doesn't run Active-X&  so the reference isn't relevant here.

You've also been advocating html&  javascript in email for as long as I
remember. I wonder how your spam rate is? Also keep in mind that you run
a Mac, so the issues of something spinning up on your Mac vs that of a
Windows user is perhaps different.

Just because you've kept the blinders on all these years doesn't mean
that html&  javascript in emails is a good thing. Google will certainly
show you that.

SM I aware doesn't use active-X, and Apple has the good since not to allow it period in their OS. But I made the reference to it because it is a far , far, far greater risk that JavaScript ever will be.

Rather that take out features because a few very few consider it a Risk. Use common sense. allow the users decide. Up until it was banned there has always been a choice in the the preferences all the way back to the beginning of communicator and possibly Netscape Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold to turn it on or off.

What happened recently? Have people even experienced users become dumber?? If people screw up let them take responsibility for their own actions.

Java Years ago was the scourge of the day. But It was be made relatively safe. It was put in what is called a sandbox. Can't be JavaScript be altered to do the same? I suppose the Difference is That Java was created by Sun a big company. while JavaScript was created by the developers on Netscape/ Mosaic that are not around anymore.

...hmmnnn...I recall asking for some common sense some time ago...still waiting, it seems...

--
     - Rufus