Phillip Jones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
me2 wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 09:14:32 -0500, Phillip Jones
<pjon...@kimbanet.com>  wrote:

I know Camino does, and I was a bit surprised to find that Google Chrome
does too.  I'm also a bit surprised at how much alike Safari, Camino,
and Chrome all look (and Firefox, for that matter)...but I've only taken
cursory looks and need to survey their feature sets deeper.

I haven't played with Opera as of yet, but from the website it looks
like it has it's own Password Manager like SM.  It seems to be the most
"SM-like" in that it's an integrated suite.  Dunno about it's capability
as a usenet reader, though.

Camino is based on FireFox, but uses the Mac interface,
SM, FF, and Camino is based on Gecko Engine.

Safari, iCab, OmniWeb, Opera are webkit

iCab is unusual in that it will (automatically if turned on check for bad code based on latest w3c specs. Green smile face shows up if correct or a Purple Sad face show if there are errors. you can click on this and generate a report which you can then save as a text file which you can send to webmaster.
For example here is error report for Mozilla.org opening (home) page:
http://www.phillipmjones.net/MozillaErrors.text

It couldn't find Doctype declaration so it based the check on XML 1.0 Transitional. Setting for Strict, Transitional, or Frameset seems to make no difference check for variants of HTML there are hundreds of errors, so XML or XHTML seems to be correct setting.

I've managed to correct pages on my website so all of mine I hope are in the green. I've converted all to at least XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

What I find interesting is that even though they share code, I would have expected the interfaces to be differently themed, just seeing as (supposedly) different people are working on each...if only just to "brand" them more; particularly because one can use themes.

But they all look an feel nearly identical, even if they do have differing feature sets. Just wasn't expecting that. Makes me wonder just who's doing what to/with whom.

Not a complaint, just a surprise. I've been using NS/MS/SM exclusively for so long I don't know what other folks have been up to. If I had any topical worry it would be about the various products being somehow limited in diversity, and thus restricting my choices somewhat.

--
     - Rufus