Philip Chee wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:21:54 -05001, Phillip Jones wrote:

For example here is error report for Mozilla.org opening (home) page:
http://www.phillipmjones.net/MozillaErrors.text

"http://www.mozilla.org/
HTML Error (0, 0): The Doctype definition of the document is unknown."

It couldn't find Doctype declaration

You are mistaken. It found a doctype. It just didn't understand what it
meant.

These are the first two lines in the source code:

<!DOCTYPE html>

This doctype is the new HTML5 doctype. All modern browsers should have
no problems with this (well apparently except iCab).

so it based the check on XML 1.0
Transitional. Setting for Strict, Transitional, or Frameset seems to
make no difference check for variants of HTML there are hundreds of
errors, so XML or XHTML seems to be correct setting.

This is wrong. Please file a bug against iCab. If it doesn't understand
the doctype or can't find one it should fall back to quirks mode
"tagsoup". Defaulting to XML or XHTML is clearly a bug.

I've managed to correct pages on my website so all of mine I hope are in
the green. I've converted all to at least XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Big mistake. You should have converted to HTML5 which is the official
successor to all the previous HTML as well as current XHTML standards
(there won't be a XHTML 2.0).

Phil

It does show the page page its just the error checker they base on W3C shows these errors I have tried FF with the Validator Extension and it does come up clean

And the error checker is adjustable you set what to check by if there is none listed. I'll send a note along with with the notation they need to add HTML compliance.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com