Interviewed by CNN on 10/1/2010 16:07, Phillip Jones told the world:
> Philip Chee wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:41:01 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for this clear answer ... But we don't like to chenge, change and
>>> change again the versions .... this looks like Linux people compiling
>>> the kernel each month ... may be not this frequency, however we prefer
>>> to use a product instead of installing, installing .. again and again.
>>
>> Fortunately now that we have made the big move from the old XPFE backend
>> to the new toolkit, subsequent upgrades won't be as traumatic. If things
>> work out upgrades will be as seamless as Firefox upgrades. For one thing
>> there will not be any more profile migrations.
>>
>> Phil
>>
> You mean if the is a 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on of SM  That it will just read
> your current Profiles?? If so that would be wonderful Just install the
> new application and star right where you left off.

Well, let me put it this way: SM now is using the same infrastructure as
Firefox and Thunderbird, and plans on keeping doing so.

If FF+TB ever decide to change their profiles substantially so that a
profile migration will be necessary, *they* will have to solve that
headache first. And it will be a *big* headache, since there are
hundreds of millions of Firefox users out there. Personally, I think
they will try to find ways to make it work with the current profiles.

Even if a migration is needed, by the time the need to migrate reaches
Seamonkey (SM can wait a few months to a year before migrating without
much of a problem) the migrating subroutines will be very well debugged.

So, while there *might* be future profile migrations some time in the
far future (although none in the perceived horizon), it should be way
less traumatic than this one.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.