Philip Chee wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:16:19 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:

YMMV, but in any case, if we would not have moved to it, SeaMonkey would be dead by now.

Why ?

The Gecko 1.8 branch was abandoned by the Mozilla Core devs a long, long
time ago. Only security and stability patches were then backported to
that branch, not by Mozilla but by Linux distributors with long lived
branches, but even that source of bug fixes seem to have dried up in the
middle of 2009. Without a SeaMonkey 2.0 to migrate our users to.
SeaMonkey would have died on the wine before the end of 2009.

That's why the original plan to release SeaMonkey 2.0 in sync with
Thunderbird 3.0 became fatal when Mozilla Messaging kept pushing back
their release schedules, and pushing and pushing, until January 2010. So
we took the decision to release SeaMonkey 2.0 at around Thunderbird
3.0b4 with the risk of a slightly unstable mailnews backend. But as the
alternative was to let SeaMonkey die it wasn't really a choice.

You will say the same after switching to SM 2.1 ?

Unfortunately we may be forced to do that as well. Chrome seems to have
lit a fire under the Firefox devs and they plan to abandon the 3.5
(Gecko 1.9.1) branch once Firefox 3.6 is out in early 2010 and Firefox
3.7 in late 2010.

We had originally planned to keep 2.0 as our current branch for most of
2010. However it looks like we will need to release a 2.1 based on 1.9.2
(Firefox 3.6) somewhere in summer this year whether we like it or not.

Phil

Thanks for this clear answer ... But we don't like to chenge, change and change again the versions .... this looks like Linux people compiling the kernel each month ... may be not this frequency, however we prefer to use a product instead of installing, installing .. again and again.