On 1/17/2010 8:45 PM, Ralph wrote:
> I should be grateful for the upgrade that fixes security issues. But
> could someone not fix some of the really aggravating bugs. Specifically
> when you use desktop icons (URL Shortcuts) to launch SM you have to
> suffer a windows error message.. can not find file... are you sure you
> typed it correctly...
>
> This has been there since 2.0.... FIX IT  (please)

The proper term in Windows is "Internet Shortcut".  I use these for
sites that I might want to visit again over a short period of time and
then never again.  Thus, I don't want to added them to my bookmarks.

Do the following check:

1.  Open My Computer.

2.  On the menu bar, select [Tools > Folder Options].

3.  On the Folder Options window, select the File Types tab.

4.  Near the top of the list of "Registered file types", you should see
an icon with "(None)" for the extension and "Internet Shortcut" for the
file type.  Select that entry and then the Advanced button.

5.  On the Edit File Type window, select Open under Action and then
select the Edit button.

6.  On the "Editing action for type: Internet Shortcut" window,
carefully examine the path to SeaMonkey in the "Application used to
perform action" area.  Does the path point correctly to where you
installed SeaMonkey?  If there are any blanks in any of the folder
names, the entire path -- including the seamonkey.exe -- needs to be
enclosed in quotes.  The quotes do not include the "%1" at the end,
which is separate from the path.  If any of this is awry, correct the
path; be sure to include seamonkey.exe at the end.

7.  Conclude by closing each window by selecting its OK button.

NOTE:  If there is no entry for "Internet Shortcut" in step #4 above,
you have a Windows problem.  Let me know.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>