On 1/23/2010 8:18 AM, Ralph wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Thanks Jim but,
>>> I am confused on how this (shortcut) would open the URL of the site I
>>> want to go to. The shortcut opens SeaMonkey alright but with my default
>>> home page. I do not need a desktop shortcut to do that.
>>
>> Now that I'm sure of what you want, here is how to get it.
>>
>> 1.  Go to the Web page via SeaMonkey or any other browser.
>>
>> 2.  "Normalize" your browser window.  That is, make it less than
>> maximized on your desktop.  In the upper-right corner of the window,
>> there are three buttons.  If the middle button shows a single box, the
>> window is already normalized.  If the middle button shows two boxes --
>> one overlapping the other -- left-click on that button.
>>
>> 3.  Drag the edges of the window until it is about half the size of your
>> desktop.  Drag the title bar (the bar at the very top) to move the
>> window enough to expose a blank area on your desktop.
>>
>> 4.  Position your cursor on the address area of the Navigation bar,
>> within the area but to the left of the URI of the Web page.  If
>> positioned correctly, the cursor should become a hand instead of an arrow.
>>
>> 5.  Hold down the left button of your mouse, drag the hand onto your
>> desktop, and let go of the left button (dropping the hand).  This should
>> create an Internet Shortcut to the Web page.
>>
>> You can then move the Internet Shortcut into a folder.  Alternatively,
>> you can drag and drop the hand directly into a folder.
>>
> Thanks for trying to help David... but let's give up
>
> I make many "favicon" shortcuts... dragging the URL to my desktop where
> it makes a shortcut to that specific page. If I am researching something
> that I may want to get back to it is an easy way to make a desktop
> "visible" bookmark.. and then when the project is finished can be easily
> deleted or placed in a reference folder.
>
> My issue is with a bug in SeaMonkey 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 Where when I click
> on one of these shortcuts I get a "Windows can not find..." error
> message, the page will in fact open and when I close the page the error
> message is still there and until accepted (OK) the desktop is
> effectively locked.
>
> This "bug" did not exist in version 2.0.0 There can not be any instance
> of SeaMonkey running, if there is this bug will not occur and the
> shortcuts open normally
>
> If I make my default browser anything other than SeaMonkey the shortcuts
> work just fine. (FireFox IE)
>
> If a short cut "you" make in this manner works... while there is no
> other instance of SeaMonkey running... then this must be a local
> configuration on my system... but in my opinion, still a bug!
>
> But I do appreciate you trying to help me.

My problem is that I can't reproduce your problem.  I just now tried
with an old Internet Shortcut while SeaMonkey was already running, with
an old Internet Shortcut while SeaMonkey was terminated, and with a new
Internet Shortcut while SeaMonkey was terminated.  All three cases worked.

I have one more suggestion.  Try opening (double-click) an HTML file
that is on your desktop.  If you get the same problem with that, then
it's a problem with Windows and not SeaMonkey.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>