NoOp wrote:
On 02/02/2010 04:29 AM, Daniel wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
NoOp schrieb:
Really? And early versions of Netscape were just simple browsers?
I still have both Mosaic and Netscape on disk, including a version of
the first Netscape w/support license. I suppose I could pull it out of
the archives (shelf) and check it, but I seem to recall that it included
an email client.

Very early versions were browser-only for sure, but I can't exactly tell
which version was the first to have a mail client. I heard it was some
3.x version, but I wasn't around at that time.

Robert Kaiser

Let's get real, people.

Had been niggling away at me for a while, so I've arced up the Desktop
computer with Win98 on it and there in the release notes for Netscape
Navigator 1.1 (Windows), in the README.TXT, under the section heading
"Running Netscape", the second para states "You must have a direct
Internet connection before you can use Netscape. The ability to send and
receive e-mail does not necessarily mean you can run Netscape. There are
three requirements for Netscape Navigator 1.1......"

O.K., it doesn't specifically say you can use Netscape 1.1 to send and
receive e-mail.

In the program itself, you can select "Directory->Go to Newsgroups" or
you can select "File->Mail Document" opens up a page where you can enter
"Mail To" (which I guess is where you would but an e-mail address) or or
the same page, "Post Newsgroup" (which is pretty obvious), "Subject" and
"Attachment"

Then a large portion of the screen where you can type information, and,
at the bottom, "Send", "Quote Document" and "Cancel"

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........

Netscape Navigator (TM) Version 1.1N Copyright 1994-1995 Netscape
Communications Corporation, All rights reserved.

I think I've got NN 0.9 on a floppy disk somewhere, and I think it has
mail as well (but don't quote me!!).

Daniel

Nah, I was wrong. I just checked&  I still have my original 1.0 book
(can't find the floppy just now) and for email it references using
Eudora Lite. Newsgroups was available, but the email client was Eudora.
I still have my original book, invoices,&  upgrade invoices... maybe
they'll be work something on eBay someday :-)

So when did Eudora stop being part of Netscape??

Daniel