Bill Davidsen wrote:
»Q« wrote:
In<news:cl6dnehxds4_xgnwnz2dnuvz_gudn...@mozilla.org>,
Mark Hansen<m...@nospamwinfirst.com>  wrote:

On 3/7/2010 5:10 PM, Philip Chee wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:37:18 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:

Prefable, so you can choose to NEVER have this happen and instead
dl manually from website. But *MOST* people prefer this.

Where did you find that "*MOST* people prefer this." ?
You have asked and collected the answers from all ?
The people in the SeaMonkey forums on Mozillazine have been
uniformly appreciative of the autoupdate feature.
In fact, I've been watching these forums for years, and it's a feature
that's been begged for as long as I can remember.

Another measure of how much people like it is how few people turn it
off.  I don't know any stats for SM, but with Fx most people leave it
on.  Well, a lot of them probably don't care about it one way or
another, so maybe that's more a measure of how few *dislike* it.

Apart from likes/dislikes, it's a huge win in terms of exploitable
vulnerabilities;  having most users automagically using the latest
version decreases their exposure.  Making automagic updates opt-in
instead of opt-out would lose that benefit.

Everything you say is true, but you have not said all the true things. That's a
paraphrase from something...

The flip side of that coin, and MSFT recently gave us a horrible example, is
that if you put something bad into that trusted and largely unmonitored channel,
you demonstrate the law of unintended results. So there are reasons for waiting
a bit until you are sure there isn't a rash of posts about problems. People
should decide which risk they want to take.

Which is the model FF uses it allows you the ability to turn off the auto update and have auto notify which is different. SM as it stands now as set up (although some one say you can control from about: config which I haven't found) it only allow for auto notify.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com