On 3/27/2010 10:31 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard

On 3/27/10 4:05 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote [in part]:
Daniel wrote [also in part]:

And Bill if I limit my downloaded messages to only those of 1kByte or
less, that still doesn't stop your 1MByte message arriving on my ISP's
server for my mail account, so costing me extra because you've exceeded
my daily 500kByte mail limit. (Don't worry, Bill, it's not just you, I'm
still trying to educate my family members as well!!)

Doesn't stop 1MB plain text either. Big data is big data, and if you have people
sending you stuff like that you might be well served to go to gmail, and use a
reader which lets you choose not to download text of any message over a certain
size unless initiated manually. gmail supports IMAP as well as the web
interface.

If a 1 MB plain-text message were instead composed as an HTML-formatted
message, the result would be approximately 4.6 MB.  And it would likely
have approximately 21,000 HTML syntax errors.

It wouldn't have to be that large at all. That is typical HTML-phobe speak. Of course if you're talking about Word HTML composition, then you would be correct, except for the excessive errors you state.

I can compose an HTML document (and of course depending on how extreme the formatting is), and the size won't be much more than 10%-20% of it's plain text counterpart. And zero errors.

So who do you believe?

Terry R.