Beorc Kano wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
Beorc Kano wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
Beorc Kano wrote:
On May 3, 3:33 pm, chicagofan<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
Here's a link [below] to one of the free news services you could try.
They tell you how to set up your newsreader to access their news
server.

http://www.eternal-september.org/

bj

Thanks, I'll try to get that other one to work. So far, I've
downloaded Seamonkey and Thunderbird, both in an attempt to be able to
use them and newsreaders. I guess i just don't know how to properly
configure it. I don't know what the server address is. I know it's
going to be something so simple and so stupid, and I'll feel like a
'tard, but I figure everyone has to start somewhere, and better late
than never.

I don't know what you mean by "other one". You have to sign up for an
outside news server, if your ISP doesn't provide one, to get the
address
for SM [or Thunderbird] to access the newsgroups. They are useless for
reading newsgroups without a newsgroup service provided by someone.

The server address will be provided by the service you choose. Who is
your ISP?
bj

By other one, i meant the 'eternal-september'. I got into it, and I've
been moving around on there for a bit, asking questions and such. I
didn't know about new servers before tonight, so, yeah, that shows how
new I am to this. I am able to access their newsgroups, for support for
their news server, but I can't seem to get my username and password to
validate. i keep getting an 'invalid credentials' error when I set
Thunderbird or Seamonkey to auto request authentification (which they
require, as I'm sure you know). I put in my username and password, and I
am certain that they are correct... I'm just getting error after error
here...>_<

But hey, at least I can use the two programs I downloaded (TB and SM) in
order to troubleshoot those two programs. XD

Is there a waiting period, perhaps? I've tried changing my password, I
tred with the password they supplied to me, so on and so forth. Maybe I
should try making a new account?

My ISP is CableOne, sorry, I forgot to put that in the last one.>_<

I don't think there's a waiting period. Don't worry about being new to
this, or the questions you ask, because we were ALL there at one time.
:) With a little patience we'll get all the blanks filled in.

Do I understand that you have put the news.eternal-september.org
address, and all the other info required in the SM "New Account" boxes?
Just trying to figure out where you are in this process. Whether you
mean you have accessed their support at their web site, or you actually
have set up your new SM newsgroup account and are still getting this
error message. In other words, are you beyond this point below [from the
SM Help FAQ]:

Adding a Newsgroup Server [in Sea Monkey your mail & news reader]

If the newsgroup you want to subscribe to is on a different server, you
must
first set up access to that server. [Since it is not on Cable One's
server]

To set up an additional newsgroup server, open the File menu in the Mail
window and choose New, then Account.

* Using the Account Wizard, indicate that the new account you want to set
up is a Newsgroup account.

Once you've set up access to the new server, you can subscribe to
newsgroups on that
server. In the Mail window, open the File menu, and choose Subscribe.

Let us know if you've completed the SM new account process with the news
server address and port 119, etc. and we can go from there. Don't give
up. :)
bj

I am to that point, in fact, that's how I got to here. the next step for
me was to click the 'Automatically request authentication' box. Every
time I do that, and it pops up the boxes for filling in the username. I
enter my username, even cut/pasted from my activation e-mail. The next
box pops up, for the password, and I cut/paste that as well, so make
sure I get it right. That's when it gives me the error "Invalid
Credentials."

Now, I DID just recently download Greasemonkey and installed a user
script for Google Groups that allows one to ignore users and the like,
so, at least in the interim, I don't have to put up with the loony I was
looking to avoid, but I would still like to get SM up and running
properly. It's a pretty nifty all-in-one program... I like it. It
reminds me of older programs... kinda endears me to it.

Oh! One more thing! How do I tell what server the newsgroup is on, when looking at a Google Group? If I can get that, maybe I can cut right to it without a password. the server I am using currently is news.eternal-september.org. They list alt.religion.wicca as accessible from their server (as you likely know, having give me their link. :) ).