Robert Kaiser wrote:
>OTOH, it's a distro that comes with SeaMonkey
>as the default browser and mail application,

8-)  Yup, *that* part is good.

...then again, the distro that I like to point to for Win9x sufferers
is also friendly to this community.
http://google.com/search?q=antiX+IceApe+%22+default.browser%22&hl=all
(IceApe is, of course, Debian's unbranded version of SM.)

...and if *getting SeaMonkey* is the first thing you do
with your amazing new Linux Package Manager,
that is a doubleplus good experience for a Linux n00b.
(Get great software with near-zero effort;
...and you can _use_ the computer while installing an app
and don't have to reboot to get it to take.)

>so I'd rather not diss them too much. :)

...but, you can easily find uncounted examples in any Win9x forum,
of the problems with an OS where there aren't separated privileges
(you're *always* a superuser)
and how the OS has been easily damaged:
"I was cleaning up my system
and now an error message says _____.DLL is missing".

If a newbie can do damage
without any prompt that what he is doing is dangerous,
he gets a fowl impression of "Linux"
--because Puppy is a poor implementation of Linux.

Again, with Puppy, it's too easy for a n00b to get a bad impression
when one of the selling points of a proper Linux distro
is that that kind of crap doesn't happen.

Now, if someone absolutely MUST have Puppy,
there is **one** extant version which has proper userlevels
(i.e. you're **not** always running as root).
http://google.com/search?q=PuppyLinux+MultiUser&hl=all
You *won't*, however, spot that one
when you go thru the front door of any Puppy site.  8-(

...and running *any* Puppy from **non-writable** media is OK
as the OS can't get borked that way.
As soon as you *install* Puppy, however,
(any except the one exemplar), Puppy becomes vulnerable.