Rufus wrote:
Started a couple nights ago...repeated crashes trying to use SM Mail.
Then tonight repeated crashes on launch. All reported.

Reinstalled SM...so far, so better. So far...

Rufus,

A couple of days ago I had a similar situation. OS X was unstable. SeaMonkey and EyeTV would randomly crash requiring a reboot, which only solves the instability of the system for a short while.

You might want to run OnyX. After running OnyX OS X has been very stable. (I read an article ZDNET, MacWorld or another site but cannot remember which recommended running OnyX every three months with all options checked but clear browser history and cookies.)

OnyX saved my iMac BTW I am running OS X 10.6.5 on a 24" iMac (late 2006) 2.16 GHz.

Download OnyX from apple's site http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

What is OnyX:
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X which allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure some hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, QuickTime, Safari, iTunes, Login window, Spotlight and many Appleā€™s applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Download it and run it with all options checked, except Browser cookies amd Browser history. It works miracles, but can not cure all problems.