Arne wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/21/11 4:50 AM, Arne wrote [in part]:

The last option "When the page is out of date", what does that really
mean, in the way SM "see" it? Is that a better option than the "Every
time ....." option, in my case?

Some HTML files contain a header with an expiration date-time. A cached
page is "out of date" when you attempt to display it from your cache
after the expiration.

Here is an example of such a header declaration:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:21:57 GMT">

Thank you for that clarification, it is what I believed. I have never
used that declaration on the sites I have built.

So I can assume that a page with that header declaration in the cache
will not be cached again before the expiration date, even if some
changes are made in the online version?

When can a page that is missing that header declaration be cached then,
if I use that option? Never "automatically" and only if I reload it?

Some browsers has the "Automatically" option, whatever that means? :\
Other browsers has no options at all for the cache, as I have not seen
them anyway.

Trying to understand the practical difference for those options, so
still hoping for an explanation to the "Every time I view the page"
option. In that case it's more about the effect on the server and what
SM re cache on only small changes on a page. I understand it does
compare every time. ;)