David Wilkinson wrote:

Ed Mullen wrote:
Good question. I've been seeing this for months now. I believe it has
something to do with the mail component in SM. If I run just the browser
it's fine. Once I run mail, however, I see these periodic freezes. I've
tried turning off automatic mail and news refresh/message download to no
avail.

If you close all mail windows then the mail part of SeaMonkey does not
do anything? I would think so, but I tried this one time and it did not
seem to help.

I do have a lot of mail accounts and (especially) newsgroup accounts.

In my experience, if I close the mail window but leave the browser open, the mail app continues to poll for messages and download them on schedule (unless I change the settings). I still get the little envelope in the tray when incoming messages arrive, and if I then open the mail app, they've already been downloaded and are ready to read.

And I, too, have periodic freezes that seem to coincide with the downloading of mail. I mostly notice these when playing videos, which is a CPU-intensive process. In that case, the only way to recover is to pause the video and restart it from the point where it froze (once it freezes, it stays frozen). Audio is not affected.

Paul B. Gallagher