PhillipJones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 17:32:08 -0700, Rufus wrote:

No, I don't think *you* understand. Go to the Apple App store and do a
search on "browser" - you will find pages of iPad and iPhone browsers
that *directly* compete with Apples Safari browser...I may have even
found another one that I like better than Atomic...and I like Atomic
better than Safari.

To say that Apple "won't allow" competing software on the App store
only
tells me that you haven't done much surfing on the App store. Go look.

Rufus, when you are in a hole, please stop digging. And please go
educate yourself on the issue before continuing to sprout off.

Thank you.

Phil

The premise that Apple "won't allow" is simply false - period. The you
don't want to swim in their pool?..fine. Just say so. But It's not
"impossible". Just flat not.

there is one thing that Apple doesn't allow on the Mac. It was banned 6
month after it came out: Active-X

Netscape communicator had a Active-X plugin. Apple ut out a notice after
6 month saying they found Active-X far more dangerous than JavaScript or
Even Java. (this was back at a time) when The security Java was
questioned. back in the late 90's They did a software update and the
plugin would no longer function.

And that's fine by me - we don't allow Active-X on the PCs where I work, for security reasons. And as a Mac user I'm pretty sure Active-X has never run on a Mac...but feel free to inform me otherwise.

Same for Flash in the iPad, and frankly I've considered removing Flash from my Macs seeing as how I use a few add-ons to block it anyway - I don't care about such implementation considerations other than that the device performs the services and functions I need/desire/require within the devices given environment. All the rest is just about platform operating framework.

I do fully understand that in the case of SM I'm talking about a *brand new* product - that certainly isn't "impossible" or "not allowed", and there are a whole host of non-Apple branded browsing apps on Apples store ranging from iOS mobile versions of Opera to iCab. Mercury is garnering my attention over Atomic, and there is a Chrome-like one that looks pretty nice to me too.

It's just a matter of wanting to bring a brand new product to market...if the answer is "no", then that's the real answer and I can live with that. I'll just have to shop elsewhere for what I want, but that won't (and shouldn't) stop me or anyone else from asking for what they want.

--
     - Rufus