Interviewed by CNN on 08/07/2011 12:49, Rex told the world:
> Firefox went from version 4 to version 5 in less than 2 months - in
> imitation of Google Chrome, who seem to be incrementing the version
> every other week.
> Please tell me Seamonkey isn't going to do the same thing so that by the
> end of the year we're up to version 3.5 or 4, and 5 by next year.
> Last week I updated to 2.1, and now barely a month later you're on 2.2,
> and looks like 2.3 is a few weeks away..compared to when 2.0 debuted
> last September and went on up to 2.0.14 for the minor fixes.
>
> I can see 2.1 has major new features and changes relative to 2.0x, but
> what about between 2.1 and 2.2? Shouldn't this be a minor update to 2.1?

I had similar thoughts about the new versioning scheme at first. The
thing seemed, at first glance, intended to make the marketing guys happy
by artificially inflating the version numbers. But then I realized that
the "rapid-release train" is an entirely different approach to the
release thing.

The traditional system is kinda like writing a textbook, or an
encyclopedia. You research, you write, you polish, you send it for
review, rinse and repeat, and it's done when it's done. Then you
distribute it for years essentially unchanged. Let's call it "Version 1.0."

Perhaps you add an appendix after a couple years (without considering it
a new edition), but you don't touch the main body -- that's kinda like
"version 1.1": you add a few things that are useful but don't alter the
main work.

And of course you fix typos on reprints -- but the bulk of the work is
static. That's kinda like "Release 1.1.1.": you add nothing new, just
fix bugs.

Then, after a long time, you do substantially revise your textbook and
release a new edition -- let's call it "Version 2.0." Then the cycle
starts again.

The rapid-release train, on the other hand, is more similar to a
periodical, like a catalog or those restaurant guides that come in the
newspapers. You have regular deadlines. Your section on Thai restaurants
may not be quite perfect, but the thing has to go to press, and it's
better than nothing, so you put it in anyway. Next week/month, you will
have an improved version. The thing is always evolving, but there are no
clear breakpoints. And you won't release a "corrected" guide between
editions.

Of course, Mozilla was kinda pushed into it by the way Chrome has been
doing the rapid-release thing. But it's not a bad idea in and of itself.

The traditional way of doing releases has its origins back when
distribution was slow, and getting a new version of the software was a
complicated process involving copying physical media. So you wanted to
make damn certain that whatever you released was not missing any
intended functionality, because the next major release was two or three
years away. In the meantime, you *might* release patches (which, being
smaller, were slightly easier to distribute) to fix problems.

Nowadays, with easy Internet distribution, keeping old branches active
is less useful. If you are going to release a patched version, you might
as well include the new stuff that is ready for public consumption.

With the new feature releases being spread out, and with the lack of
maintenance-only releases, there's no longer any practical difference
between a "major" and a "minor" release -- so you might as well adopt a
simpler numbering scheme. In fact, some projects done away with serial
version numbers entirely and went with release dates, like Ubuntu.

Perhaps they have the right idea -- perhaps the Mozilla community should
have jumped from "Firefox 3.6" to "Firefox 11.03" and then "11.06", and
Seamonkey should have jumped from "2.0" to "11.06." But such a large
jump would have flagged even more extensions as "incompatible." But it's
a thought for next year -- by then, Firefox and Gecko should be going
double digits.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Burberry.
*Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 *