While I think some of the criticism is justified, I don't think the
predictions are correct.

Yes, the transition to the rapid-release train has been troublesome. Not
just here on Seamonkey, but in Firefox too. But that happened in large
part because extension developers are still getting used to it. It's a

When developers realize that a version number jump is much less likely
to break compatibility under the new system than under the old, because
the changes are smaller; and when they also realize that the
rapid-release system tends to discourage radical changes in the program
and APIs, I expect them to begin targeting compatibility for a few
versions ahead. I mean, the probability of a Firefox 4-compatible
extension to work with Firefox 10 is far greater than a Firefox
3.6-compatible extension to work with Firefox 4. So, instead of
conservatively tagging an extension as "Firefox 5.x, Seamonkey 2.2.x
compatible," we are starting to see more "Firefox 8.x, Seamonkey 2.6.x"
compatible. And no, I don't think it's a shot in the dark; it's a fairly
reasonable bet, particularly for simple extensions.

Complex, security-related extensions such as NoScript or Enigmail will
probably keep targeting only the current releases (or perhaps they will
move to supporting the next beta). But they were always conservative in
that regard anyway.

As we settle on the rapid-release train, some of the problems we have
been experimenting should resolve themselves. Changes are hard.
--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Motorola StarTAC.
*Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 *