Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
JeffM wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Inviting end users who are incapable of coding or testing
is an empty promise.

Describe more fully "incapable of testing".

What I mean is that most end users can demo a program, play around for a
bit, and generally satisfy themselves that "it works" for their favorite
tasks. They might accidentally stumble upon a problem. But they won't
perform rigorous, systematic testing such as navigating to each and
every option on a menu. So if you have a feature that's rarely used, or
if it doesn't elicit interest or curiosity because of its menu location,
name, or description, it won't be tested. In this scenario, you need a
very large cohort of testers with very diverse interests (ways of using
the program).

I test avionics software professionally, even though I don't code any of it - it helps that I'm a pilot, and share a pilots "user" experience. That's about all that's required, and what you describe is likely sufficient because it highlights specifically what is important to the user; anything that the user doesn't *use* isn't even a consideration as far as an end-user is concerned.

One doesn't really need to know how to code, but one does need to be able to draft an informative report, and I think most users can do that. Getting someone to actually listen, prioritize, and take action however...

I've written SM bug reports, expressed user-oriented opinions here...to no result. Even when quite a few of the SM coders were behind what I had to say re: small buttons in the download dialog and human factors concerns (and I submitted a formal bug when asked to do so), it seemed like just *one* team member could somehow crush the input of all of the rest of us even though he was outnumbered. And nothing changed.

Then I got severely burned trying to evaluate a relatively small (but desired) change in a SM beta on a machine I depend on and had to rebuild my former install from backup...thus formally ended my inclination to "contribute".

--
     - Rufus