Interviewed by CNN on 22/08/2011 03:50, Roger Fink told the world:

> Great! and neither would I, which is why I'll probably start a new thread
> about why the latest flash update is insisting on downloading its own
> installer for Mozilla (if I and my firewall understand what is going on) but
> installs normally in IE.

Well, one trick that usually works with Adobe is to DISABLE the
"advertise Firefox compatibility" in Seamonkey -- that way, the site
offers Flash (and Adobe Reader, and other downloads, for that matter) as
regular downloads. Adobe (and other sites, for that matter) will try to
foist their own download managers if they "recognize" a browser -- which
usually means IE, Firefox and Chrome (and sometimes Opera and Safari).
"Firefox compatibility" tells the site you are using Firefox (well,
sorta), so they try foisting on you the Firefox downloader -- which, by
the way, might not even work with Seamonkey.

I believe Flash installs "normally" in IE because the IE version of
Flash is an ActiveX module, which has its own special support built-in
to IE. All other browsers (except Chrome, which comes with Flash
built-in) have to use a regular installer.

Adobe is not the most intrusive site, though. Microsoft Technet is much,
much worse: every attempt I made of downloading stuff from my Technet
subscription with Seamonkey/Firefox got corrupted files. The only way it
worked was to use IE and their own (slow) custom download manager.
Apparently it's tied heavily into Akamai or something, instead of
offering a standard FTP or HTTP download.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my IBM PC-XT.
*Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.3 *