Fri, 09 Sep 2011 22:19:28 +0200, /Ray_Net/:
Stéphane Grégoire wrote:
Ray_Net a tapoté, le 08/09/2011 23:45:

I very often get smileys from outlook users which display as "J".

And what should be showed in place of J?

in place of J, in Wingdings font you have a very beautiful smiling
smiley. JKL is smiling, neutral anf angry ... only Wingdings offer
that.

When you specify a font to display certain character, it doesn't change the character itself. In case the receiver doesn't have the font you've suggested, the character is displayed in a font available to him. You effectively suggest a character should be displayed using a glyph meant to represent totally different character.

You also don't seem to grasp Wingdings doesn't have a glyph to character mapping, which makes it impossible to use for rendering any characters which otherwise the font appears to contain glyphs for.

The guy who wrote a mail to me using Outlook, use J,K and L in
Wingdings, i have Wingdings installed on my pc, so, normally, SM (as
other browsers/mailreaders does) must/should display the 3 smiley
accordingly.

If I'm not mistaken only Windows have Wingdings, so it is far from "normally". You should understand styling, such as specifying a specific font family, is optional and an user may have chosen to ignore such specifications. The content itself, the character "J" is not changed - just displayed using ones preferred styling/font. Relying on "J" displayed as something completely different is hilarious, the very least.

--
Stanimir