Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

I must be explaining myself very badly today, so let me try to spell
things out more simply :

No, your statements have been very clear. It's just that when you say something your listener/reader finds implausible or unexpected, they tend to think you must mean to say something else. Sometimes they do it consciously, but often they don't even realize they're "correcting" your words in their minds.

I know it can be frustrating, but it's how most listeners and readers operate.

Paul B. Gallagher