Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

chicagofan wrote:

Last year Google enabled users of their search page to use images on the search
page.  I have never been able to use this feature.  Is this a problem with the
SM Google access... or something else?  The link for this option never shows up
as Google said it would, and searching around their pages, I've never found a
way to do it manually.

Do I need to use FF or install Chrome, to use that feature?  I hope not... I'd
really like to use it and would appreciate any advice.  TIA....
bj

This was working wonderfully for me, and then disappeared,
as did the option to (re-)instate it.  All I got was a horrible
blue smear pointing at "Web".  Having spent some time tracking
down the cause, I find that it is because I have disabled the
option (Advanced / HTTP Networking / Advertise Firefox compatibility).

As I do not wish to falsely claim  that I am using Firefox, I have
installed the "PrefBar" add-on and added the UA string :

        "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902; Firefox/6.0.2
compatible; SeaMonkey/2.3.3"

(i.e., the default UA string with the addition of the word "compatible" and
some semi-colons).

I would /prefer/ not to have to use an add-on to accomplish this.  Is there
an "about:config" setting (or similar) that will allow me to modify the
default User Agent string directly ?

Philip Taylor

Philip, rather than "about:config" you can Edit->Preferences->Advanced->HTTP Networking and then under User Agent String, tick the box for "Advertise Firefox compatibility".

HTH

--
Daniel