On 12/3/11 9:21 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
> Dustbin wrote:
>> Stan wrote:
>>> Did we ever come up with a sure way of tricking sites into thinking we
>>> are using Firefox?
>>>
>>> I need to switch banks and it appears they only accept the browsers on
>>> their list.
>>>

>> It is an outrage that these scumbags should be telling us what browser
>> to use. If they wrote their code properly it would simply work with any
>> properly coded browser.
>>
>> D.
>>
> Do you think that respecting the http://validator.w3.org/ will do a Site
> "Viewable With Any Browser" correctly ?
> I have a doubt ...

No it won't.  Situations in which an error-free HTML page will not be
viewable with all browsers include:

*  Insufficient contrast between text color and background color.

*  Assumptions that a browser window is larger than the visitor's
window, that the monitor resolution is greater than the visitor's actual
resolution, and that the monitor screen is larger than the visitor's
monitor.

*  Rendering that is garbled when CSS is disabled.  (Some browsers still
in use -- especially audio browsers for the blind -- do not support CSS.)

*  Text that is too small on a browser without a zoom capability.

*  Content contained in an image instead of actual text, where the
browser fails to display the image appropriately (e.g., stretched,
fuzzy) because of valid but inappropriate size or other attributes
(HTML) or properties (CSS).

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross