Philip Chee wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:36:21 -0500, David H. Durgee wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:31:31 -0500, David H. Durgee wrote:

Perhaps that is part of it, but I think there is more to it.  Things are
working now after closing out and restarting.  I have the password
manager open to the news.individual.net and it shows two entries for the
news server, one with the username and one with the password in addition
to a single entry for userid/password on the web site.  When the problem
is occurring the two news server entries disappear from the password
manager.  Perhaps they are being removed after an authentication failure
from the server.  Perhaps they are being removed for some reason and
causing the authentication failure.

There was a bug. The news server software would delete password entries
in the password manager if it failed to log in to the NNTP server too
many times. *Any* sufficient number of failures would cause this
including poor connections, long delays, etc. This bug has been fixed in
sufficiently new versions of Thunderbird/SeaMonkey. Now *Only*
authentication failures are counted. Any other types of failures
including connection problems do not count.

Phil

You indicate that this has been fixed in "sufficiently new versions of
Thunderbird/SeaMonkey" above.  I am running "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux
x86_64; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111122 Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5", which to
my understanding is the current release.  Why am I seeing this bug?  I
find the only solution once it rears its ugly head it to close down
SeaMonkey and restart it to answer the prompts and get the data saved.

My mistake. jcranmer is still working on this.

Phil

Yesterday the PPA I use for keeping SeaMonkey current upgraded to 2.6, although as far as I am aware it is still at Beta 4 level. Other than some of my add-ons/plug-ins being disabled this appears to be working fine. Any idea if this bug is fixed in 2.6B4? I did not see it mentioned in the release notes, but I could have missed a forward reference somewhere,

Dave