On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:31:31 -0500, David H. Durgee wrote:

> Perhaps that is part of it, but I think there is more to it.  Things are
> working now after closing out and restarting.  I have the password
> manager open to the news.individual.net and it shows two entries for the
> news server, one with the username and one with the password in addition
> to a single entry for userid/password on the web site.  When the problem
> is occurring the two news server entries disappear from the password
> manager.  Perhaps they are being removed after an authentication failure
> from the server.  Perhaps they are being removed for some reason and
> causing the authentication failure.

There was a bug. The news server software would delete password entries
in the password manager if it failed to log in to the NNTP server too
many times. *Any* sufficient number of failures would cause this
including poor connections, long delays, etc. This bug has been fixed in
sufficiently new versions of Thunderbird/SeaMonkey. Now *Only*
authentication failures are counted. Any other types of failures
including connection problems do not count.

Phil