On 1/3/12 2:55 AM, Stephen Geraghty wrote:
> On Jan 2, 7:00 pm, "David E. Ross" <nob...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>> On 1/2/12 8:49 AM, Stephen Geraghty wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>
>>> I recently noticed that SeaMonkey pages align left when Internet
>>> Exporer renders them, whereas in Firefox and other browsers they
>>> center align fine.
>>
>>> The only way I have found around this is to insert align="center" in
>>> the html of each table style..... bit of a hassle but thought it would
>>> be okay if I then use that page as a template going forward.
>>
>>> However.. when I edit the properties of a table in any page, in this
>>> instance the table cell spacing, the html command vanishes and I'm
>>> back to the same issue in IE with left alignment!
>>
>>> Am I missing something here or is this a known issue...... and is
>>> there a fix? Do I need to do something in SeaMonkey before I create a
>>> page to ensure it center aligns in IE and what about when i then go to
>>> edit it? Any help would be really appreciated.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> SeaMonkey pages -- pages at thewww.seamonkey-project.org-- display
>> approximately the same with SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and IE 7.
>>
>> I think you are referring to HTML pages, not SeaMonkey pages.  HTML is
>> generally discussed at the comp.infosystems.www.authoring.htmlon a
>> non-proprietary news server (e.g., on Giganews, Eternal September).
>>
>> If your problem is specifically about using Composer, you may indeed
>> post here in the mozilla.support.seamonkey newsgroup.  But then, you
>> should clearly indicate your issue is with Composer.
>>
>> --
>>
>> David E. Ross
>> <http://www.rossde.com/>.
>>
>> Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
>> bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
>> © 1997 by David E. Ross- Hide quoted text -

> Hello all,
>
> First of all, many thanks for your comprehensive replies.
>
> I should note that I am no expert with either html coding nor css but
> I am picking it up. It would obviously pay dividends for me to learn
> css.
>
> In the interim David can I clarify something giving my very basic
> understanding? I have my html page created in SeaMonkey Composer - are
> you saying that I just insert:
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
> as the first line....
>
> then:

> <TABLE....>
> </TABLE>
> (I want the page to center in every browser so will the above do
> this?)
>
> Given my lack of knowledge I see CSS and Standard HTML use as 2
> seperate things..... therefore am I mixing the 2 here? In short - will
> inserting your suggested code into my existing HTML documents be okay?
> Last of all..... will I need to repeat this code for each table tag in
> the document or does the document assume the command applies for all
> instances of tables on the page?

There is no problem with mixing HTML and CSS in the way you indicate.
However, you might omit the <DIV> and put the inline CSS on the <TABLE>.
 Also, with automatic margins, you need to specify a width, preferably
as a percent of the available page.  For example

I definitely think further discussion along this line really needs to be
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html and not in
mozilla.support.seamonkey.

--

David E. Ross