Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>[...]I've been using Linux for about seven years
>and have never once compiled a single ... anything.

...though that does remain an option which is available with FOSS
--unlike the all-closed-source segment
which makes up the majority of the M$ ecosystem.
...despite the fact that even that is a rare occurrence these days:
http://google.com/search?q=alien+Linux

>[...]There's around 25,000 applications in my Ubuntu repository.

...and you wouldn't have to look very hard
to find someone whose number is ~34,000.
It's difficult to keep track of the current total
with the  number of available FOSS apps growing daily.
The old M$-spread mythology about there being no Linux apps
was the impetus of my initial statement/question.

>[...]
>To "create" my OS, I merely downloaded an .iso file, burned it to CD,
>and then booted from the CD.

I say boot *to*, but yeah.
...and don't forget the MD5 check in there.

>Pretty much like one does with a Windows CD or DVD.

...except that what you get is a complete graphical desktop
whence the entire OS and its full complement of apps
can be **run** FROM THE REMOVABLE MEDIA
(aka a test drive **without** installing anything)
which is something you will NEVER be able to do with a M$ disk.

You definitely don't have to run around looking for device driver
disks
--it's all on the one disk you burn.

You can always tell the folks who have never actually tried this,
as they are the ones who continue to parrot M$'s purposeful lies.

With GPartEd (the GNOME Partition Editor) being a standard part
of pretty much every Linux distro, that alone would be a good reason
for everyone to make the effort to get a bootable Linux CD;
it's a gratis and libre equivalent of Partition Magic.

...then there's the can-save-your-bacon factor of a Linux CD
for copying stuff off your HDD when Windoze implodes
--without altering the contents of your HDD.