JeffM wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

Daniel wrote:

[...]BitDefender[...]anti-virus update[...]

I've been reading with great amusement
this thread about a toy OS and the hoops its users jump thru.

If your b-i-l used Mandriva, he'd not have had this problem!  :-)

I was thinking along those lines from the beginning.
My question is:  What tasks do these folks actually do
that **requires** the easily-infected / needs-anti-whatever-apps OS?
I'm betting that the answer is "None".

The tasks we perform are no different to those that you perform --
the real difference is that we prefer an operating system intended
for use by real human beings rather than one intended for, and
suitable for use only by, nerds and geeks.  It's as simple as that.

Philip Taylor