Daniel wrote:
[snippage]
Thanks to Doctor Bill and Beauregard for confirming my
suspicions! I've just rung B-in-L to tell him to cancel card and
said I'd be over shortly to try and fix situation!

Card cancelled.

Started BitDefender via the "Start" button, ran complete virus check,
 got rid of three problems, downloaded new anti-virus update,
complete re-scan, got rid of one more problem file.

(Burnt my Mandriva update to DVD, so I have something to do over the
 next while!!)

If your b-i-l used Mandriva, he'd not have had this problem!  :-)

Also updated the BitDefender files on their two laptops, and scanned
 them clean as well.

An effective days work..........and You Live, You Learn, hopefully!!

I'm not sure but has anyone told you to use the highly recommended MalwareBytes Anti-Malware yet? As the problem is not a virus, but a trojan, best to use a tool more specifically geared to the problem.

Get the free version, install, update, scan:
<http://www.malwarebytes.org/>

--
   -bts