On 1/9/12 5:11 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 1/4/12 7:09 PM, flyguy wrote:
>> Norton Internet Security 2012 offers "Browser protection" for Internet
>> Explorer 6.0 or later, Chrome 10.0 or later, and Firefox 3.6 or later.
>> According to Norton:
>>
>> "When you turn on Browser Protection, Norton Internet Security
>> proactively blocks new or unknown malware programs before they attack
>> your computer. By protecting your Web browser, Norton Internet Security
>> secures your sensitive information and prevents the attackers from
>> controlling your system remotely.
>>
>> Always keep the Browser Protection settings turned on to protect your
>> Web browser against attacks by malicious Web sites."
>>
>> Can SM 2.6.1 fool Norton so it thinks it is FF 3.6 or later, and would
>> the results have any value? Currently, my
>> general.useragent.extra.firefox  is set to Firefox/3.0
>
> AVG Anti-Virus includes a link-scanner that is supposed to provide
> protection while surfing the Web.  The Surf-Shield portion of the
> link-scanner works with any application that downloads via the HTTP
> protocol.  The Search-Shield portion looks at links provided some of the
> more popuplar search engines.
>
> The Search-Shield supposedly works with Firefox through version 9.* but
> not with SeaMonkey.  I'm going to experiment to see if I can tweak it to
> work with SeaMonkey.

I created an XPI file for Search-Shield containing an install.rdf file
indicating compatibility with SeaMonkey 2.4 through 2.9.* and installed
it as an extension in SeaMonkey 2.6.1.  I have seen no problems created
by this.

However, I don't know how to test whether it really works.  I would need
a search query for Google or Yahoo that gives a link to a malicious Web
site.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross