On 1/10/12 3:10 AM, Philip Chee wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 23:33:37 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> AVG Anti-Virus includes a link-scanner that is supposed to provide
>>> protection while surfing the Web.  The Surf-Shield portion of the
>>> link-scanner works with any application that downloads via the HTTP
>>> protocol.  The Search-Shield portion looks at links provided some of the
>>> more popuplar search engines.
>>>
>>> The Search-Shield supposedly works with Firefox through version 9.* but
>>> not with SeaMonkey.  I'm going to experiment to see if I can tweak it to
>>> work with SeaMonkey.
>>>

>> I created an XPI file for Search-Shield containing an install.rdf file
>> indicating compatibility with SeaMonkey 2.4 through 2.9.* and installed
>> it as an extension in SeaMonkey 2.6.1.  I have seen no problems created
>> by this.
>>
>> However, I don't know how to test whether it really works.  I would need
>> a search query for Google or Yahoo that gives a link to a malicious Web
>> site.
>
> Try this:
> <mozilla.org/firefox/its-a-trap.html>
>
> Phil

Nope.  That was not detected as a malicious Web site.

I also tried configuring AVG's Search-Shield for SeaMonkey the same way
that AVG's E-mail Scanner is configured for Thunderbird.  This involved
editing file xpti.dat in my SeaMonkey profile despite the fact that the
file warns users not to edit it.  That did not cause Search-Shield to
appear as a SeaMonkey add-on.

I'm going to dump this back into AVG's lap.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross