On 01/31/2012 09:09 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> WLS wrote:
>
>> If it is [in] the repository you use, then your distro has created its
>> build,
>> and it is released for your platform.
>>
>> Firefox 10, and Thunderbird 10 are in my repository, but SeaMonkey still
>> shows 2.6.1.
>
> Could I ask for a translation of this into non-geek-speak ?  In what
> context would one "use a repository", and what is one's "distro" ?
>
> As far as I am aware, I have and use neither.  I downloaded Seamonkey
> from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/, as I imagine most of us have
> (why on earth would one choose to download it from anything other than
> the authoritative source, and thereby risk infection or worse ?), so
> is http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ either my "repository" or my
> "distro" ?
>
> Philip Taylor

Sure, a repository is one place Linux users get their software from,
after their Linux distribution adds branding or other features, and
packages it for the user.

The OP is a Linux user, as am I.

My repository is
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.4/, but I
don't have to open my browser, enter that URL and go to it. I just open
my software management application, and am informed when an update is
available, if I have the application installed from the repository.

The one thing most Linux distributions do, is disable the manual update
feature for the applications, while allowing you to still check for and
update add-ons.

I could also go to http://www.seamonkey-project.org/, and download the
Linux version, and install manually.

I installed the releases, and update through the repository.

The beta, and nightly builds are installed manually, and updated
manually from Mozilla.

Does that help?

--
Thunderbird Beta